Shire provides a short term until October to submit license applications

Click here to sign up for our free newsletters!

Licenses are required
Licenses are required

Aberdeenshire Council has now received confirmation from the Scottish Government that a six-month extension to the deadline for existing hosts to apply for a short-term letting licence has been approved.

Existing hosts must now apply for a license before October 1, 2023 — the previous deadline was April 1 — and can continue to work while the application is processed.

However, the Council urges hosts to apply as soon as possible and not wait until the deadline before submitting their applications.

The legislation was introduced by the Scottish Government to ensure that short-term holidays are safe, to address problems faced by neighbours, and to help councils understand what is happening in their area.

It aims to balance economic and tourism benefits with the needs and interests of local communities.

Find out more about the legislation and Scottish Government guidance and apply here.

Aberdeenshire Council has developed its own licensing scheme with feedback from businesses and local communities.

Its goal is to ensure that visitors have a safe experience in accommodations that will encourage them to return to the area and support businesses in the area.

Under the scheme, existing hosts and operators who have already given short-term holidays before October 1st

2022, you must apply for a license before October 1st.

New hosts and operators, who did not file short-term leases prior to October 1 of last year, cannot operate a short-term lease until they have obtained a license.

Any new short term businesses and existing businesses offering additional new accommodation must have a statutory license before operating or could face a fine of up to £2,500.

All short-term properties must be licensed by July 1, 2024.

There are 4 types of short term rental licenses-

Secondary rent – renting a property somewhere you wouldn’t normally live, eg a second home that allows guests.

Home Rental – Using all or part of your home for short-term rentals, while you are away, an example is while you are on holiday.

Home Sharing – Using part of your home for short-term rentals, while you live.

Home Rental and Home Sharing – Run short term vacations from your home while you live there and for periods you are away.

In light of the economic challenges facing companies, the Board approved a significant fee reduction in December last year.

Fees depend on the type of permit application and the capacity of the property guest:

Guest(s) Capacity/Home Sharing or Rental/Secondary Rental

1 to 2 pounds 340 450 pounds

3 to 4 pounds 450 to 600 pounds

From £5 to £9, £570, £760

£10 to £15, £680, £850

£16 or over £850 £940

Applicants will need to submit a number of important documents with their fee application including-

Existing Electrical Certificates of Conformity: Electrical Installation Status Report.

Current Mobile Device Testing (PAT) certification for all devices.

Gas Safety Certificate – From a fitter approved as suitably safe for gas.

EPC Certificate (Secondary Enables Only).

Evidence of your current insurance arrangements for the property, eg current cover, general liability insurance or property owners liability insurance with a minimum cover of £2m per dwelling.

Site and site plan for a rural estate with multiple units.

SFRS Fire Safety Checklist.

Useful private water supply – Evidence of satisfactory results within the last 12 months.

Would you like to respond to this article? If so, click here To submit your ideas and have them published in print.

DISCLAIMER:- Denial of responsibility! is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email at The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Read original article here

Leave a Comment