Banks O’ Dee and Inverurie Locos shock the GPH Builders Merchants Highland League Cup with wins over Buckie Thistle and Brechin City while Brora Rangers, Fraserburgh and Rothes win the Highland League

Click here to sign up for our free newsletters!

Most people were expecting the Buckie Thistle final versus Brechin City, but Banks O’ Dee and the Inverurie Locos rocked the scenario on Saturday.

Andy MacAskill (R) scored directly from a corner kick but missed a penalty as Buckeye was knocked out of the cup.  Photo: Daniel Forsyth.
Andy MacAskill (R) scored directly from a corner kick but missed a penalty as Buckeye was knocked out of the cup. Photo: Daniel Forsyth.

Buckie were expected to reach their third consecutive GPH Builders Merchants League Cup final at home to D but lost in a penalty shootout.

After Joe McCabe was shown a straight red card for a tackle midway through the first half, the ten-man Jags took the lead before half-time when Andy MacAskill’s corner kick was bounced straight in.

Chris Antoniazi equalized for the visitors in the 53rd minute and the score remained 1-1 at the end of 90 minutes, as referee Gordon Sego had to call the Highland League to find out if the confrontation would go into extra time or a penalty shootout.

It went straight to penalties and with Sam Pugh seeing his kick saved and MacAskill hitting the crossbar, Buckie was up against it.

Jack Henderson also hit the crossbar for Dee but Kyle McLeod’s kick to keep the Jags in was hit weakly by goalkeeper Andy Shearer, and the visitors won 3–2 in a penalty shootout.

Goals from Sam Robertson and Sam Burnett gave Locos a surprise win over title contenders Brechin at Harlow Park, setting up a final against Dee at Fraserburgh’s Pilsley Park.

Five matches took place in the Breedon Highland League as the Rothes closed the gap on sixth-placed Locos to just one point with a 2–0 home win over Nairn County, with both goals scored by Greg Morrison.

A Gregor McDonald-Browra hat-trick helped Rangers regain third place with a 4-0 win over Touriff United, with Ali Sutherland also scoring.

The top scorer of the day was Fraserberg who scored six unanswered goals at Wake Academy.

League table after March 4.
League table after March 4.

Jimmy Bigree netted in two minutes, but it wasn’t until the second half that Brosh showed his superiority with more strikes from Scott Barbour (2), Sean Butcher, Mark Lawrence and Logan Watt.

Keith went nine matches without winning, losing for the fourth time in a row against the Clash.

Gavin Elphinstone’s first Maroons goal ended Keith’s run of more than eight hours without a goal to equalize Lewis Mackenzie’s opening goal, but former ICT veteran Gary Warren got Inverness a first-half victory.

Callum Murray, who made the mid-season move from Forres Mechanics to Huntly, scored the winning goal for his current employers against his former teammates in a 2-1 win over Huntly at Christie Park.

Andy Hunter put the Families ahead early with Ross County teenager Conall Ewan equalizing after half an hour, but Murray got the winner with an hour to go.

Would you like to respond to this article? If so, click here To submit your ideas and have them published in print.

DISCLAIMER:- Denial of responsibility! is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email at The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Read original article here

Leave a Comment